The project aimed to react to the current situation in which the media are vehicles for stereotypes’ dissemination and help improve the correctness of media discourse and messages.
The main objectives of the project were
- Develop a critical attitude towards the
information provided by the media;
- Increase media awareness regarding its
contribution to disseminating stereotypes and its potential to build a culture
- Directly involve youth and minority
groups who were victims of discrimination in media monitoring and reacting, in
order to promote dissemination of correct and contextualised information.
The main activities of the project were:
- Monitoring of ten media online platforms for 15 months (September 2011 – December 2012) on topics related to minority groups;
- Create a group of voluntary local press observers composed of members of minority groups and journalists aiming to make a critical analysis of the media;
- Produce a set of recommendations for correct use of language regarding minorities and avoiding stereotypes and terms with negative connotations;
- Contacting media organisations and presenting them the analysis and the recommendations regarding topics that made reference to minority groups in a discriminatory way.
Read more about the project at: